Raising chickens isn’t for the faint of heart. But, in my experience, confidence will be gained with knowledge. In this post roundup, I’m linking all of the posts that will give you the knowledge you need to raise your chickens confidently. Who says you can’t raise chickens in city limits?
Why a post roundup?
I love being able to share what I know about raising chickens with you. And now that I have a well stocked blog teeming with information about raising chickens, I knew I had to put it all into one place! I have it broken down into a few different sections:
- Raising and hatching chicks
- How to take care of chickens
- Other tips and tricks
Who’s ready to learn more?
Raising and Hatching Chicks
I have raised chicks a few different ways. In 2021, we hatched chicks from a broody hen. In 2023, we bought chicks from our local supply store. We had an unconventional brooder one year and build our own another year. Suffice it to say, we have learned a thing or two about raising chickens! Here’s what we’ve learned – I hope it can help you, too!
- How to Raise Chicks – Prioritize These 3 Things
- Raising Chickens for Beginners – Free Printable!
- What to Look for When Choosing Chickens
How to Take Care of Chickens
Would you believe that there’s a little bit more involved to caring for chickens than throwing them outside and hoping for the best? We love to dream about a homestead and it’s romantic to think chickens are able to run freely at all times. But we would be wrong! Here are some ways you can generally care for your chickens and give them support when they need it throughout the year.
- How to Take Care of your Chickens – General Care
- Know Your Options for Chicken Feed
- Tips for Better Protecting Your Chickens Against Predators
- 3 Tips to Get Your Chickens Through the Winter
Other Tips and Tricks
There’s confidence that comes with knowing more about chickens. I hope these posts inspire you with that same confidence!
Pin This Post for Later
Want more from The Learning Life?
Here are some other things you can learn about –
- Avoid Burn Out in Homesteading
- Homemaker and Happy: Embracing My Godly Calling
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- Are Essential Oils for Me?
Things You Need for Raising Chickens
- This style waterer works great for chicks
- I recommend this style feeder for chicks
- A brooder lamp like this one has a clamp and the watts you need to keep those chicks warm!
- Don’t forget bulbs for your lamp!
- Transporting small birds? This dog carrier makes a great travel solution.
- Mixing up a dust bath? Add diatomaceous earth! It’s the best way to kill pests and get deep in feathers. Since it’s food grade, it’s safe for your birds!
- For injured birds, I recommend a care spray like this one. Keep it on hand!
- Did you know chickens need electrolytes, too? These electrolytes are what we give our birds when there’s a cold snap and they aren’t taking it well. Again – keep these on hand!
- Need a place to put your equipment in the off season? We use industrial totes like these.
- Cleaning out your coop? Where a mask and protect your respiratory health!